I never knew how private I was until I moved into a house by myself. When I was growing up, my mom was always opening our blinds and letting so much natural light in. However, she always had dark screens on the windows and when it was sunny outside people could not see in our house. Well, rent houses definitely do not have that luxury!! I never opened my blinds in college for the simple fact that I didn’t like the idea of people being able to look into my apartment or house. When I moved into my rent house in Springfield, there were only windows on the back side. I dabbled in gardening when I had time, so I enjoyed having various houseplants around. I got the unfiltered sun I needed and didn’t have to worry about creepers around my house!
Fast forward to now… our home has beautiful windows in the front that are semi private (aka you can’t see in from the street and I don’t worry about people peeking in our neighborhood). But our garage was like an open window into our home. We had windows all across our garage door and it was so easy to see if our cars were not there. Obviously, this worried me because anyone can tell when it is prime time for someone to break in (duh, we weren’t home!). On top of that, I just didn’t like the idea of people being able to look in and see our disaster of a garage (I mean, we did just move in… cut us a break). No peeking allowed around our house!
I had no idea how hard it was to take pictures of before and after projects for windows! Bear with me… haha.
I took matters into my own hands. First off, we didn’t have a garage door opener when we moved in! So the resourceful people we are, Brett and my dad installed a new one and that problem was fixed. So I had to look like I was helping when they were actually working, or else they would really give me something to do. And nobody wants that, let me tell you!! I stayed busy by privacy-ing our garage door windows. It was the easiest thing ever!!!
I started with this for my garage windows and this for my big window in the garage. I originally got one roll and quickly found out that was only enough for two windows with just a bit left over. I ordered two more rolls for the rest of the door. They are different sizes and have different amounts in the roll so I wouldn’t have to cut as much.
I can’t stress how easy this was! I started out by holding the roll against the window and using a box cutter to cut around the edges as best I could. Well you can imagine how hard it is to hold a roll and to cut a straight line all at the same time. So I had to mix it up a bit. Because each window is the same size, I used some old shelf liner the previous owner left and cut one template for all the windows with that. It was easy to cut and had the perfect dimensions for the window. Of course, you could always measure and cut that way. I never measure right and this seemed to be resourceful at the time. I cut each of my window coverings and started to install.
Step 1: Cleaning
It says to work with a clean surface and I can’t stress that one enough. If the windows are not clean, the cling won’t stick. I used a little Windex and paper towels for the window surface and a straight razor blade to clean the corners. It was clean enough.
Step 2: Installation
The directions say use a spray bottle and wet the window before placing the window cling. I don’t own an extra spray bottle just laying around so I used a super wet paper towel and swished that around the window. Then, apply the cling and it should stick on its own but have lots of air/water bubbles. It is very moveable once it is put on, so don’t worry about getting it perfectly placed the first time. I did have an extra credit card just lying around so starting from the center, I used that to smooth out the air bubbles and any extra water. The corners were the hardest and required a bit more work, but nothing that was taxing or anything like that!!
Once all the air bubbles were out, I moved on to the next window. The entire garage (8 windows) took about an hour after everything was cut and ready. I needed Brett’s help on the big window so that the window cling wouldn’t fold over on itself. If it does fold over, it does not stick permanently. With a little water it will come unstuck just like new). That window is a slide open window, so I used two separate sheets to cover the top and the bottom. I figured this would be so much cleaner and easier to maintain than blinds that only attract bugs and spider webs.
Six months later I absolutely stick by my convictions. I haven’t had to redo any windows, adjust due to sagging or falling, or clean them. They have stuck perfectly! I think there is something with the water and when it evaporates it creates some type of sticky surface. Obviously I didn’t pay too much attention to that part of the directions. Since I’ve installed these, I have not worried once about people being able to see in our garage. Since I park my car in the garage, nobody ever knows if we were home or not. Shoot, you can’t even see inside if we have the lights on! You can see that our lights are on, but that is it. Puts such an ease in my mind.
Total, this project costed around $40 and took about two hours from start to finish. Just imagine everything else I could privacy-ing in my house!! I see some more projects in my future.